"No Reservations"

Dear Haiti,
How did I come to love you so? How is it that when I think of home that you are always there? I have been to other poverty stricken places...none quite like you, but I've never wanted to stay. I was just thankful for the "experience" and that I didn't have to live out my existence in those kind of conditions. But you I have never wanted to leave. Could it be that I just don't want to leave my girls? I've asked myself that question a million times it seems. Others have asked it too. So on my last trip I tried spending time with you apart from my girls. I was checking you out. I was hoping that you would answer that question for me. You did. I only fell in love with you more. I have experienced your ugly side. I have experienced your glories. I don't love everything about you. Truthfully, the list of things I hate about you would surely top the list of things I love about you. But your fight for resilience against my hate list makes me love you even more. I know that leaving you means leaving my girls, and in all honesty I know my love for you has grown along with my love for them. They are tragedy, beauty, brokenness, resilience. They are Haiti. They are the catalyst that brought me to you. They are family. You are family. You are home. We thought we would bring Haiti home. But now we are going home to Haiti.
----------
May 26th, 2011. The ticking clock glares 1:00 am...the typical time (usually the only time) Eric and I sort through the bigger decisions in our personal lives. I stare at the clock wishing God would hold the sun in place for at least another month. Eric breaks the silence with the question, "So do you have any reservations about moving to Haiti?" My first thought was "Nope!...Just wish everything was already done and we were already there". But I paused for awhile to make sure I was answering truthfully. What then came out was a list of fears...fears concerning both the unknown and expected lifestyle changes that were sure to come, how we and our children will cope with these, if and how this will affect our adoption process, and the biggest elephant in the room...MONEY. After voicing some of my fears, I realized that none of these things were actually reasons I had for not moving to Haiti. They were all things I fully expected to encounter as we prepare to move and after we do move to Haiti...God has already confirmed the decision in my heart and in that decision I have no reservations. I then asked Eric the same question. He said, "I have no reservations that this is what God wants us to do." The how of all that is still in the works...but God has been moving mountains to get us to this point and we know He isn't going to abandon us now!
----------
We have been discussing the possibility of moving to Haiti openly with our boys for several months now. We have been excited to see how God has been preparing their hearts as well. Two weeks ago Ethan caught me saying, "When we move to Haiti..." He stopped me before I could scold him for whatever he was in the midst of saying (probably asking for some big toy that I knew we wouldn't be taking to Haiti), and asked, "So we are definitely going?" I could have just said, "Yes. And your little world is about to be rocked!" I opted for a teachable moment instead saying, "Let's think this through together. Has our family ever prayed that if God wants us to move to another country that He will show us where that is and open doors for us to move there?" Both boys answered, "Yes". "Do you think God has been showing us Haiti?" Boys, "Yes"! "And If God has provided renters for our house here, a job for Daddy in Haiti, a house for us in Haiti, cars for us to drive in Haiti, and even some money for us to get to Haiti, do you think that maybe God's plan involves us moving to Haiti?" "Ethan responds, "God did all that? Well I guess we have to go then"! Evan asks, "Will there be toys in Haiti?" I so wanted a more spiritual response from them, but will take willingness to go as a positive! Shortly after this conversation with the boys the radio played,

Where You go, I'll go
Where You stay, I'll stay
When You move, I'll move
I will follow You
Who You love, I'll love
How You serve I'll serve
If this life I lose, I will follow...

We all love this song, but we admit that these words are easier to sing than obey. Lord, continue to make our hearts desire to follow you and serve you wherever you desire to move us! Thank you for opening doors for us! We ask that you give us the courage to walk through them. We ask for you to bring others to join us in our journey through support and provide for the finances needed in whatever way You see fit. We ask that you continue to prepare our hearts and the hearts of those you would have us serve and serve alongside in Haiti...and enable us to serve like You for Your glory!
----------
Dear Friends,
We know you might have a lot of questions. We still have a lot of questions too. But we now have enough answers to finally be able to announce that...
THE REAM FAMILY IS MOVING TO HAITI! Did we mention this is happening in August?...as in the next two months...Lord willing! We are in the process of setting up a new site where we will post more information about our move to Haiti and what we will be doing when we get there. We will continue to post adoption updates on this blog. We want to be clear that our adoptions are not the reason we are moving to Haiti. It isn't exactly the norm to move to the country you are adopting from...but you didn't think we were normal did you? We are definitely excited we will be closer to to our girls while we wait for our adoptions to be completed, but we do not have any knowlege that our move to Haiti will expedite the process in any way. While our adoptions are the reason Haiti originally became a focus for us, there have been many other reasons through many other people the Lord has presented to us in the past year that have confirmed that He is calling us to Haiti! We are excited to be called, and we are excited to go! But boy do we need a ton of prayer to get us there...and even more after we get there! Moving to a 3rd (recently heard Haiti has been classified as a 4th) world country in the heat of August with two young boys and no air conditioning isn't going to earn glamour points. If I dwell on that thought for more than a few seconds while sitting in my air conditioned home on my comfy couch with a working internet connection, I quickly begin to rethink that "no reservations" stuff. But...


"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said, Here I am. Send me!” -Isaiah 6:8 

Can a scripture verse be overused? Misused, yes. Overused, no! So there it is. I was six years old when I first knew God wanted me to be a missionary. I was also 6 years old when I said, "No way...You've got yourself the wrong gal for that job". I've said "no" too many times since, but God didn't give up on me (or answering Eric's prayers to go to the mission field)! This time around, God didn't have to ask, "Who will go?" I was already jumping up and down and begging like crazy, "Here I am! Right here Lord! I'll go! I'm ready now! Please send me! Send us! Please oh please!" God often has funny ways of bringing about His will in our lives. I'm sure there will be days when I won't think it is funny and may curse God (or at least vent on the blog) for giving me my way...or making me want His way. Either way, God's will be done...It will!...and we have no reservations about that!

3 comments:

  1. How exciting for the Reams!! I've always thought of Romans 12:1, "offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to the Lord," as a walking testimony. It is a verse that challenges us to live every part of our lives for Christ. Your family is a walking testimony...inspiring, encouraging, and adventurous. Your journey will no doubt bring difficult challenges, but I look forward to watching y'all face them with hearts for God & He will be glorified! We are blessed to have met you and be able to follow your "testimony!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling mixed emotions after reading Elisabeth and Eric's blog. For one, I am sad that we are losing such an amazing family and ministers of our church. They have meant more than words can say to the Dionne famiy. But selfishness aside, I am overjoyed at their obedience to the Lord. What else would this amazing, God loving, family do?! Eric and Elisabeth, you are such great role models. We love you and support you now and forever! The Dionne Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing testimony to following God no matter what. So very excited for you - it takes an amazing family to say yes when God calls. We will be praying for you guys! With lots of love & prayers, Redden Family

    ReplyDelete

You are part of our story...we love to hear from you!