Happy 10th Birthday to our "Beloved Grace"

Our Precious Esmée,


Today we celebrate your 10th birthday and all the life you bring to our family! I will never forget the first time I laid eyes on you in person. I expected you to be shy. I thought it would take you a long time to warm up to me. But I didn't know you then. I just longed to. It seems like I've known you forever now. But way back then you found me before I found you. You saw me first and you knew I was your mom. You jumped into my arms and held onto me so tight I had to pry you from me to see who it was that I was holding. I melted when I saw that it was you.You held my heart from the first picture I ever held of you. I looked at your sweet face and I knew that you were my daughter. I loved you with an indescribable intensity from that moment on. This is why we named you Esmée. Because Esmée means "beloved" or "much loved". You are my girl and you now tell me this every day. Yesterday morning I woke up to a sweet letter from you delivered to my bedside saying, 


"We Love my Mom. 
I no (know) my mom Love me.
I no (know) my mom Love my sister.
I no (know) my mom Love my brothers.
We Love my Dad.
-Esmée Karys


You love to say you are mama's girl. You love to hear me say you are mama's girl. You love it so much you have asked to share my name (middle name) Charis (with the Haitian spelling), which is the greek word for "grace". We believe that God's grace is what has brought you to our family and how you have embraced being our daughter and a sister to Elita Marguerite, Ethan, and Evan with everything that is in you. We all feel so loved by you too. Sometimes people think you are shy, but your family knows this is just another one of your silly games. One moment you are a princess that must be carried to her room in high style. The next you are at war with the cockroaches and running laps around the soccer field with guys 5 times your size. You are the bravest, silliest, sweetest, sassiest, prettiest, most precious little girl. You are our little girl. We are so thankful for your life. And we are forever thankful that God gave us you. Today we celebrate all He has done in your life. We think these pictures show that a little. We wish our dear family and friends could see what we are blessed to see in real life. Because they too are a big part of where you are today!

The first picture I held of you. 
This is the oldest picture we have before you were brought to the orphanage.
Your hair is orange (a sign of malnutrition) 
but you still have that 
deep 
thoughtful 
longing 
look in your eyes.
I love that look.
This is the first picture we received of you after we were matched as your forever family.
I freaked out when I saw how small you were next to Marguerite
(whom we were told was the same age).
We asked how much you weighed.
We were told you weighed only 38 lbs.
Your brother Evan was a small 3 yr. old at the time. 
He weighed 38 lbs. too.
We prayed every day that God would grow you in every way. 

I met you 2 months later.
You were such a tiny little girl.
I loved you completely...
My much loved girl.

Your spirit is much bigger than your size.
This is one reason you are alive today.
And because of God's grace.

God has given His life for you.
All those years when you did not have an earthly daddy, you still had a Heavenly daddy.
But God's grace has given you an earthly daddy now.
And he would give his life for you too.
Your sister and brothers adore you!

Our prayers have been answered.
You have grown so much...
in every way.

I am honored to be your mother.
We are honored to be your family.
You are no longer an orphan Esmée Ream.


We have so much to celebrate in our much loved girl!
We celebrate all the years of God's grace in your life!
We are blessed to be in your homeland with you.
We pray that soon we can bring you to our homeland.
And get you a sassy bike like this one...
for a belated birthday present!


You are our Esmée Karys...
Our "Beloved Grace"
And we will celebrate your life every day!





27 comments:

  1. Esmee I have been praying for you. you are a blessing from god to your mommy and daddy and they are great parents and you have so much more family you still have to meet yet and when you do you are going to be surrounded with people who love you so much I am one who can't wait to meet you Its like I know u already just by seeing the pictures of you but i will have to wait but until we meet I am your cousin and i Love you so much may god bless you today and everyday Love Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Esmée,

    What a beautiful treasure you are! Your lovely smile must bring so much joy to those around you! I'm so glad you get to celebrate your 10th birthday with your Mom, Dad, sister, and brothers!

    Happy Birthday!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 10th Birthday Esmee! You are a beautiful girl inside and out! We hope you have a fun day and when you come to Texas we will celebrate again with a really big party! So you have to let me know what's your favorite cake and ice cream! You and your family are so special to us and we've been praying for you from the beginning. God loves you so much and so do we! He has wonderful things planned for your life. He is faithful and good! Until we get to meet you in person, we'll send hugs and kisses with Kelli!
    Love,
    Mary & Julian (Maemae & Popsy)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Esmee, you don't know me, but I have prayed for you many times. I love your parents, so I know you must be the happiest girl around on your birthday today. May "the Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenni Maronde WoodwardMay 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM

    Oh happy day! We've enjoyed reading about your journey. We hope to see you this week for some hotel swimming! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather Strawn LankfordMay 16, 2012 at 5:18 PM

    Happy birthday Esmee! We love you and are praying for you. Your Texas cousins can't wait to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy happy birthday Esmee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday from someone in Texas who loves you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to you!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancy Harper StrakaMay 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM

    Happy Birthday Esm'ee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday, sweet girl! I know they are blessed to have you as their daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nancy SatterwhiteMay 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM

    Birthday blessings, Esmee! Looking forward to meeting you when you and your family come to Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katie Shanahan SchneiderMay 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM

    Precious Esmee, you are loved more than you ever know. You have a BIG earthly family who loves you and prays for you daily. You have a BIGGER Heavenly Father who created you to be the perfect, beautiful little girl you are and loves you so much. I hope you have a FABULOUS birthday! I know your Mom and Dad have great surprises for you! You are loved and celebrated on your special day! I can't wait to hug your neck soon! Happy 10th Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday, Esmee! I look forward to seeing you when you come to Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday Esmée.. may you have many, many more!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shannon Roedeske BabcockMay 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM

    Happy Birthday, Sweet Esmee'!!!!! Oh I am celebrating you today. We can not wait to meet you - either in Texas or in Haiti:) Have a blessed birthday in knowing that you are prayed for and loved so much♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday, sweet angel!!! :) God bless you, sweetheart! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Donna Schoff VardaMay 16, 2012 at 5:39 PM

    Happy Birthday Esmee! Congratulations on your first birthday as a Ream!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow - happy birthday Miss Esmee! Even though we have never met you, we are so blessed to be able to follow your life and adventures through your mom's blog and dad's emails. Both of my boys, Jack Matusek and Sam Matusek have been praying for you, your sister, brothers and parents! Congratulations and have a most WONDERFUL day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tracy Harkins KingMay 16, 2012 at 5:42 PM

    Happy birthday sweet Esmee!! We are so glad to know you and can't wait to see you again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday Sweet girl:) love you and am praying for y'all:) I hope you have an awesome birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Esmee, so happy for you to have this birthday with your forever family. I hope that you had a blessed day. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jennifer Kay Hansard BreunigMay 16, 2012 at 6:28 PM

    AAAH! Happy Birthday sweet Esmee!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tell that sweet girl Happy Birthday from her cousins in Round Rock and that we hope and pray we can meet her soon!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday Esmee! Praying for you and your family! God bless you and keep you and give you great things in the year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy 10th birthday you sweet, beautiful girl! I pray God is with you spiritually, emotionally and physically, as you grow over the years. I pray you have many, many more birthdays to come! U are loved and have a great family! :) God bless you in all that you do! :)

    ReplyDelete

You are part of our story...we love to hear from you!