Happy Birthday To Our Chosen Marguerite!

Sweet Little Miss Maggie,

Today is February 9th, 2011 and you are 12 years old. I had been despairing about today, but am now praising God for His tender mercies! A much sadder version of this intro had been drafted before I found out that our friends were cleared for Haiti travel, that they were going to be able to deliver your birthday gift from us, that God even orchestrated their trip to delay them one day and give them an extra day so that they would still be with you today...and that now we might have the chance to Skype with you! This is such a blessing because if this were not the case I know it is unlikely anyone around you would remember that another year of your life has passed, and you wouldn't remember either. It would just be another day of surviving orphanage life for you, and you would not even know what you missed. You have never celebrated a birthday. You have asked me numerous times, "Mom, when is my birthday?" I ask you the same question and you answer with a different month each time (both in Creole and English). This is because you don't really understand what a birthday is other than another day that makes you a different number. Days just run together, and numbers aren't very significant either. You cannot remember well enough what life was like before you were an orphan. The fact that you are still an orphan as another year of your life rolls by doesn't make it feel like there is much to celebrate. But this day is very special to us and we are celebrating you! 

Today 12 years ago your birth mother gave you precious life, held you in her arms, and loved you. She was taken from this life before she could love you for long, but God did not choose to leave you orphaned. Today one year ago we were staring at your picture, realizing that with your birthday you were one year older than we had been told, and prayed for you and about becoming your forever family. We are very sad that we cannot be with you on your birthday, and even more sad that you cannot be home with us. If you were, we would let you sleep in, bring your favorite breakfast in bed...eggs with melted cheese and toast with peanut butter on top. We would let you open a present...a new pink outfit fit for a princess. It would be a special day in our house, and you would feel so special. We would wait for Dad to get home from work, and all share you favorite dinner around our table. Your brothers would hurry the meal because they would be so excited for you to blow out the candles on your cake and they would want to help. Then you would open the rest of your presents and we would enjoy just being a family, playing games, or watching a family movie all snuggled up on the couch together. This isn't happening today, but we are still celebrating you! 
Magpie
We are celebrating the year we have had the privilege of getting to know you, and learning all about what makes you special. We are celebrating that you have such a joyful spirit despite all that you have suffered in your twelve years of life. We are celebrating the fact that you love Jesus, and trust that He has a perfect plan for you. We are celebrating how you love others and take care of Esmee and all the little children around you. We are celebrating that you often put others needs above your own, and that you want to make others happy. We are celebrating that this is what makes you happy...your servants heart. We are celebrating that you have many friends because you are kind and show yourself friendly. We are celebrating that you always strive to do your best, and delight in your accomplishments no matter how big or small. We are celebrating that you want to do what is right, and are sensitive and saddened when you fall short of this. We are celebrating your sweet smile that can light up a room. We are celebrating the way you are always moving and dancing about, and the way you love to sing. We are celebrating that God chose you for our family, and you are our chosen Marguerite (Elita means "Chosen"). We are celebrating that you love us too, and that you want more than anything to be our daughter, and a sister to Esmee, Ethan, and Evan. We are celebrating that you embrace having grandparents, aunts, uncles, and many, many, cousins. We are celebrating that when you look at pictures of our friends you say, "my friend too?" We pray that one day you will get to meet them all, and we pray that it is one day before your next birthday. We are celebrating you today because we love you, and we are so very proud of the young lady you are becoming. You were just a little girl last February 9th and even last April, when you reached out your arms to me over the balcony and shouted "Mama!" the first time I laid eyes on you. I will never forget that moment, and I am so blessed to have been your "Mama" this year. You are not such a little girl anymore, but we pray that there is still some of the little girl left that we first encountered when you finally come home to us. We are celebrating you today because you have taught us so much and have changed us so much! And although this has been a tough year for us all, we are so grateful for it, and especially for you. 

I was thinking of how you always make me smile with your endless singing, and one song that you have sung over and over again this year came to mind and filled my heart with joy for you. And you always start out with this song, so it must be your favorite. I have known this song for years but when I re-read the lyrics, thought of you singing them in English and Creole and the meaning they must have for you, oh the tears! What a perfect song God has placed in your heart this year! Keep singing and dancing and believing that...

Over the mountains and the sea
Your river runs with love for me
And I will open up my heart
And let the healer set me free 
I'm happy to be in the truth
And I will daily lift my hands
For I will always sing
Of when Your love came down 

I could sing of Your love forever
I could sing of Your love forever 

Over the mountains and the sea
Your river runs with love for me
And I will open up my heart
And let the healer set me free 

I'm happy to be in the truth
And I will daily lift my hands
For I will always sing
Of when Your love came down 

Oh, I feel like dancing
It's foolishness I know
But when the world has seen the Light
They will dance with joy
Like we're dancing now

God thank you for sharing sweet Marguerite with us this year...we pray this song over her today...that far away over the mountains and the seas of Haiti a little 12 year old girl somehow knows that there is a river running with love for her! 
Happy 12th Birthday Elita Marguerite!


38 comments:

  1. Marguerite, you are such a beautiful little girl and so special! I hope you have a very special day, Happy Birthday!!

    -Cristian Cockerell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 12th Birthday to a beautiful girl! We cannot wait to meet you! Love and hugs, Robbie, Laura, Brayden and Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to a beautiful girl! I cannot wait to meet you and tell you of how your Mama and I prayed for our adopted daughters to come into our lives one day. We prayed this many years ago and now are both seeing our beautiful girls bring joy into our lives. My little girl just turned 4 last month. It was the first time she had ever been given a birthday party and she enjoyed it very much! Praying you feel loved and chosen today! Can't wait to see your sweet smile in person! Love, Rebekah Brown

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happppy birthdayyy girly! You are such a beautiful and special girl fearfully and wondurfully made! Have a blast on your birthday! I am praying for you and can not wait to finally meet you :) Love your sister in Christ, Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Bithday Elita Marguerite! When God made you He was smiling at the lovely girl He made and I think He gave you His smile. When I look at the pictures of your smiling face, I see His joy and love for others. Looking forward to meeting you very soon. Love, Mary H

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elita Marguerite,
    Happy Birthday to a beautiful and loved little girl! Your mom and dad are working so hard to get you home, and we are praying that your next birthday will be spent at home, with your family who is so anxiously waiting for you! May God bless you this year and every year, and may you choose to serve Him with your whole heart! Love, Melissa Ross

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 12th birthday to my new beautiful cousin... I cant wait to meet you and esmee! Elita, i do want to tell you what a great blessing you and esmee are to our whole family! And u have the best godly must loving parents and two of the smartest and very funny brothers! Love you already!

    -one of your many cousins...Tasia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elita Marguerite - I hope this is one of the best birthday's ever!! You have some amazing parents, whom, with us, wish you a very happy 12th birthday!! God loves you and enjoy your day! - Shane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Elita Marguerite! You are greatly loved on this special day and have a family now for the rest of your life. God created you with a great future and a hope and these things shall surely come to pass for you! You are God's story and He knows absolutely everything about you...Know that you are precious and greatly loved...and you have a place to belong. -- Britt, Emily and kids

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARGUERITE!!! What a blessing you are to us all!! I'm so blessed to know you and witness this journey! I pray we will all be together soon! God bless you in this coming year sweetheart!

    Much Love,

    Makayla

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Elita Marguerite! We love you and hope to give you big hugs soon, and very soon! I pray you are happy today on your birthday and happy everyday because of Jesus. -- Love, Uncle Jon, and Aunt Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elita I hope your 12th birthday is filled with joy and that you enjoy what God has lined up for you. I can't wait for the day I get to say to you face to face.
    Joe Drank

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday, Elita Marguerite! We cannot wait for you to come home to your forever family. We know that God has a wonderful plan for you --> "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
    Much love,
    The Allens
    (Mark, Whitney, Kalynne, Micah, Shay, Makayla & Jaden)

    ReplyDelete
  14. marguerite!!!! hApPy BiRtHdAy our Elita! What a joy you are to our Powerful Lord God and to us who have yet to hold you. I pray the Lord allows me to have many fun and precious times with you as your Aunt Emee : ) I pray for you and trust God in heaven that even when we are not with you, the Lord will not let go of you and will be with you always! I pray you feel His presence and peace today on your Birthday and that your wishes come true! I love you so much already my sweet and beautiful niece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Marguerite! You are so special & so loved. Your church family in TX can't wait to meet you! Have a wonderful birthday!
    Love,
    The Parkinsons
    (Rich, Liz, Sarah & Joshua)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy 12th Birthday Marguerite!! You are a much loved young lady. I prayed a special birthday prayer for you today and thanked God for creating you (: Hope you feel all the hugs being sent your way and I can't wait to give you that hug in person!!
    suzie d.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy 12th Birthday, Marguerite! I pray you have a wonderful birthday in Haiti, and a new year full of God's blessings. I pray you can come home to your family soon, and I can't wait until I get to meet you! Your family loves you more than you can know. :)
    Love, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday Marguerite. We miss you so much! Hope your day is full of joy.

    Tracey Herrera

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy, Happy Birthday Marguertie. May your birthday be as bright as your smile. I will continue to pray that God brings you to your family soon.

    Vincent

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday Marguertie! I am so thankful to God that He gave you to such a loving and God-fearing family. I know God gave them you because He knew they would be the best parents to you! Every time I talk to them, I hear how much they love you and cannot wait to spend all your other birthdays with you! You are an incredible blessed girl!

    In Christ,
    Matthew
    Ps. 96

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH Sweet Marguerite - today is your day!! Happy 12th Birthday to you!

    We continue to pray blessings for your life and cannot wait to meet you. May you feel a sense of peace in knowing you are so loved and prayed for!!

    You are so precious to us, our babygirl, Elita - we love you!

    Your cousins - The Babcocks
    Greg & Shannon, Chance, Bobby, Devorje, Brooke, Davarece, Allyssa and Deja

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday Sweet Girl!:) We love you so much and cannot wait to meet you!! God has a special plan for you! We are praying that you come home soon!!!

    Love: The Wilsons

    ReplyDelete
  23. To a very special girl that has a world of love, wishes and prayers for you. We can't wait to meet you Marguerite! From my family to yours have a very special birthday! Presents!! Birthday cake!! And tons of laughter today!

    Irene Ramirez

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday, Elita Marguerite, I am looking forward to meeting you when you get home!!

    Sue Potts

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh sweet Marguerite!! I first saw your beautiful face about a year ago and asked God if you were meant to be our daughter. I felt God saying that you had a mom, and that I needed to pray that she would find you soon. And He was faithful-- your parents found you shortly afterward, and I rejoiced to find out who I had been praying for! God Bless you on your 12th birthday! I can't wait for you to come home!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday, Marguerite! We pray that God will bless you, that you will have a wonderful birthday! We pray for you every day and hope to get to meet you one day very soon!

    Brett, Julie & Camden Redden

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your Dad (Papi) who misses you very much!February 9, 2011 at 3:54 PM

    HaPpY BdAy my sweet Elita Maguerite! Wish you were here or we were there to give you a big hug on your 12th bday! See you soon!

    Papa nou renmen!

    ReplyDelete
  28. sister,
    i hope you come home soon! have a happy!!!birthday!!! i was excited to see you on skype. you look very pretty in the outfit we sent for you. i made the flower you had in your hair.
    i love you very much,
    your bubba ethan

    ReplyDelete
  29. i wuv you marguerite! happy birtday! i hope you come home soon! i wuv my gruwels (girls).
    Wuv,
    Evan Dan

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Birthday Marguerite! You are so loved! I can't wait to meet you! You are an amazing and blessed creation!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Birthday Marguerite!! We pray for you everyday. We can't wait to meet you and spend many more birthdays with you. God has BIG plans for you!!

    Love,
    The Easley family

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your Friend Katya PottsFebruary 10, 2011 at 1:21 PM

    Happy Birthday
    Maggie!!!
    I hope that you enjoy your birthday!
    I can't wait to get to meet you! I will pray that God will keep you safe and bring home you and your sister.
    We love you verry much!
    Love, Your friend,
    Kateryna Grace Potts

    ReplyDelete
  33. happy birthday sister!!! soooooo excited to see ya! n keep bein who God made y ao be (: He made no mistakes your a one of a kind awesome young woman (: WOOOOOOO!! :DDD God bless!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Our precious and beautiful Elita Marguerite,
    Happy Birthday to you,Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday Marguerite...Happy Birthday to you! Feliz Cumpleanos ! Papa nou renmen! We love you so much and pray each day for you to come home to us all who eagerly wait for you and Esmee. We pray that you've had an extra special 12th birthday and look forward to celebrating your future birthdays with you our beautiful niece and cousin! Keep singing, dancing, shining and loving each day for His glory always!
    We love you sweet girl!
    Tio Pavel,Tia Eleisha, Elianna and Talia Rose

    ReplyDelete
  35. Happy Birthday, sweet girl! I just met your grandmother in Virginia, and the first thing she did was show me your picture and tell me all about you! You are so loved! I am excited to see what God has in store for your life! He is a HUGE God, and I know He has HUGE plans for you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy Birthday Marguerite!!!! You are such a sweet friend and a sweet girl!!!I can't wait until you come home and when I get to see you again!!! I think about you everyday, Marguerite. I am praying for you.
    Love,
    Your Friend Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  37. I know it's not your birthday anymore, but I was reading your messages from all your friends and I just smiled to see how God is blessing you with so many friends...what a wonderful present! Even though you are separated for now, you have been given a special family to walk through life with, and one day soon you will all be together. God Bless you sweet girl as your wait for that day! Love Jen Congdon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sweet Marguerite! This message is a bit late, but I prayed for you on your birthday (as I do often), and I am so glad that our Lord blessed your special day. I pray that you had a glimpse into the depths of His love for you and that He continues to pour out His love into your life. He has given you a precious family and I can't wait for the day when you will be united forever. And I look forward to seeing you and having you meet my daughters - they pray for you often and can't wait to meet you!

    Love you already,
    Stephanee Potts

    ReplyDelete

You are part of our story...we love to hear from you!